Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Quicken Online has improved!


Quicken Online has improved their free online offering since I last wrote about it. In my earlier post I compared Mint.com, Quicken Online and Wesabe. I noticed this weekend that Quicken Online has made some changes. It seems to add a few new minor options but the biggest option is they do a calculation of how much money you have available until your next paycheck. They base this on the previous months payments and paydays. It's really pretty accurate. This is a nice feature, but I believe it just encourages spending. By knowing how much you have left to spend by the next paycheck, I look at that like okay I have $50 that I can spend. It should be looked at like I have $50 to save or invest but I don't. It looks ahead and takes into account future repeatable expenses that are coming up before your payday so it should help you not overspend. I think the service is nice but I just look at it wrong. The one thing I can't do that I really rely on is to compare my expense to my earnings for the month. I look at that every month and then determine how much, if any, I can move to savings. I looked all over the web page but couldn't figure out how to get a graph, chart or listing that shows how much I made versus how much I spent. Quicken Online is still the easiest site to get your data imported from your accounts automatically. I set it up the first time and now everytime I login it automatically updates all my accounts without me doing a thing. That is nice.

I am still using Wesabe for the time being. I really like the income versus expenses graph. Wesabe gives you that on the front page. Between that and a little more flexible tagging or categorizing is why I still like Wesabe better. I can get all my accounts updated fairly easily (still not as easy as Quicken). Mint.com still can't upload my credit union data. Until I can do that this site will not work.

Still the winner: Wesabe