Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Credit Unions - Better than Banks

I don't have any checking or savings accounts with traditional banks. Everytime I didn they would change the rules of my accounts after about a year. They would make the interest bearing checking account no longer free or raise the minimum amount required to get interest on my savings accounts. Or they did some other piddly thing to tick me off. They would change the rules to their accounts to raise fees to try make a couple of bucks off me. I just got tired of having to keep track of this months new rules and adjusting my usage of their accounts so I wouldn't get hit with the newest fee.
My solution that I have been using for the last 20 years is to use a credit union. Their accounts are always consumer friendly. No minimum on interest checking accounts. No minimum on savings accounts. Good rates and services. The offer online account access, free check images and free online bill payment. I get my car loans through them and they lower the rate 1/2% if you let them take it out of your checking account. That's a win-win since I don't have to write a check and that is where the money was going to come from anyway. And if you have read any of my posts, I like automatic payment methods.
Setup Your Automatic Savings Plans
Fund Your 401K Then Up the Amount
Organize Your Checking Accounts to Better Manage Your Money

I found one credit union through my employer and the other is in the community. I'm sure you can find one easily. Ask a co-worker, your HR department or a neighbor. I won't go back to a bank anytime soon.