Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Off Topic - Photo Question

This post is off topic, but I had quite a few folks ask about the picture of the dock. I took this picture of my friends dock at his lake house. I then used a software product called Photomatrix to create the dramatic effect. In fact, if you click on the image and look at the full resolution photo you will see the Photomatrix watermark. The watermark is added until you purchase the software. I didn't purchase it because I just didn't get the time to use it to its full extent. Actually, this is pretty much the only thing I did with it. To get a shot like this you need to take three pictures at different exposures. On my Canon XT DSLR Camera I just used the Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB) setting to take the 3 exposures automatically. You need to put the camera on a tripod or solid surface and you can't move it any between exposures. After you get your three exposures of the same image you open the image in the Photomatrix software. You then go through a combination step and then move some slidders to affect the resulting picture. It can really make for some interesting images. The Photomatrix software is free to download and use. Paying for a license removes the watermark. If you want to learn more about this type of photography do a search on Google for "HDR Photography".