Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Save Money by Not Being Able to Get To It

In an earlier writeup I talked about how I use different checking accounts and direct deposit to put my monthly expenses on auto pilot. I also use a similar trick to help me save more money. First I created a savings account at a credit union through work. The credit union is located about 30 miles away from my home and about 20 miles from my work. It is really inconvenient to get to. They tried to offer me a debit card and a credit card so I could have easy access to my cash. I refused to accept one. Sounds like it would be the last thing you would do. The next thing I did was to set up a direct deposit through work to put a small amount of savings in this account every paycheck. I then try to forget I have this money. When I get tempted or desperate for money I might remember that I have this account but then it's difficult to get the money out. I don't like to drive out there. I can't use an ATM. I can't use a credit or debit card to spend it. It's just a hassle. I usually try to find another way to come up with the money or decide I don't really need to spend that money right now. The whole time it's earning a small amount of interest but the total amount keeps building slowly because I don't touch it.

Setting up these automated systems to help you save or spend money wisely is super easy to do. Once you get them started they just take care of themselves. Try it, REALLY!